Quick Links:

Sign in

Events Calendar

« < July 2014 > »
S M T W T F S
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
« < August 2014 > »
S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Canton Historical Museum on facebook
Stay connected with the Canton Historical Museum by becoming a fan on facebook
Click here or icon to visit
Cemeteries in Canton PDF Print E-mail

CEMETERIES OF CANTON – 2010 There are eight cemeteries in the town of Canton—Village and St. Patrick’s on Huckleberry Hill Road, Calvary on Collins Road, Canton Spring (Baptist) on Canton Spring Road, Dyer on Dyer Cemetery Rd. (old Rte. 44), Canton Center on Cherry Brook Road, North Canton on Cherry Brook Road, and Southwest on Simonds Avenue. 

A census of graves was prepared in 1934 by the WPA but it did not include the location of stones.  This was extremely helpful with the preparation of this latest census.  Also, the Alderman Records of 1997 were valuable as this included a history of each cemetery as well as records of the removal of graves from St. John Cemetery in Burlington before it was flooded by  the Nepaug Dam.  These graves were removed to either Southwest Cemetery or the lower part of Calvary Cemetery. 

This cemetery census or inventory was completed over the course of three years—2006/2009 by Martha Campbell, Sharon Capezza, Carole Cumming, Ariana Fleming and Katherine Jenkins of the Canton Historical Society with the help of Eagle Scout Chris Hyde.  It was a stone by stone inventory noting inscriptions and location.   

Many graves that were found in 1934 could no longer be found and are listed as UNFOUND.   The boundary fence and line between Village and St. Patrick’s Cemetery is gone.  Only traces of the fence posts remain.  Therefore, some graves in this report may be allocated improperly.  Whenever there was confusion, we have listed the grave in both cemeteries Row and plot locations are not included here, but are available at the Canton Historical Society.  In the old sections, the rows are extremely fluid and designations are approximate. 

To access the listing of graves in each cemetery, you must register with the site, then go to the Members Area, Town Cemeteries, Listing of Graves. To access maps to the various cemeteries go to the Members Area, Town Cemeteries, Maps.

A map of each cemetery is available at the Museum if further clarification is needed.  The address is 11 Front St., Canton, CT.  860-693-2793, or This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it  

 

Hours of Operation

Summer Months:
(April through November)
Wednesday - Sunday 1 - 4 PM

Winter Months:
(December through March)
Saturday and Sunday 1 - 4 PM
or by special appointment.

Admissions:
Adults $4.00
Seniors $3.00
Children (ages 6-16)  $1.00
Tours: Available by appointment
starting at $20 based on size of group

Images of the Museum

AXEDIS~1.JPG
MACHE~13.JPG
CORNER~1.JPG