12. North Canton Community United Methodist Church Memorial Garden (UM) is located at 3 Case Street, North Canton, CT.
9. Canton Veterans Memorial is located in Collinsville on the corner of Bridge (Route 179) and River Streets. “In grateful memory of the men who died in the service of their country and in recognition to all men and women who served that freedom might live, this monument stands so that future generations will always remember.”
7. Canton Springs (Canton Springs / Baptist) Cemetery is located at 6 Canton Springs Road, in Canton, 860-693-8286. This cemetery was a gift from Nathaniel Alford, III. The Canton Baptist Society had its first burial there in 1807. Eleven Hazard Powder Mills employees lost their lives at the mill and were buried here from 1819 to 1865.
4. Dyer Cemetery is located at 15 Dyer Cemetery Road. It is maintained by the Canton Center Cemetery Association, 860-693-2468. This is the oldest cemetery in Canton and was originally known as "Old South Burying Ground", a gift from Joseph Wilcox, of West Simsbury*. The first burial (Tryphene Barber) was in 1752. Eighteen Revolutionary soldiers were buried here in 1777. The British General John Burgoyne, after his surrender at Saratoga, camped on the meadows near the Farmington River, where these soldiers were buried. By 1829 these skeletons were uncovered. In 1810, Daniel Dyer bought the property and it became Dyer Cemetery.
2. St. Patrick’s Cemetery is located at 15 Cemetery Road, in Collinsville. This Catholic cemetery is just south of Village Cemetery (see above description for boundary line). The cemetery is managed by Saint Patrick's Cemetery Association, 860-693-8727.
Village and Saint Patrick's Cemetery are side by side on Huckleberry Hill on the east side of Collinsville. Originally, these two cemeteries were separated by stone walls, trees and logs. However, there is no longer a clear delineation between these two cemeteries. In general, there is a long row of tall pine trees int eh middle of these cemeteries. The northern section is Village Cemetery (Protestant) and the southern section is Saint Patrick's Cemetery (Catholic). Village Cemetery contains the Patriots' Tablet (#1A), a bronze plaque that lists 39 soldiers, their Regiments and Companies, dates and places of death during the Civil War. Memorial Day Exercises were conducted in Collinsville May 30, 1903 and the Patriots' Tablet was dedicated by the State of Connecticut and the Collinsville Cemetery Association, in memory of the men of the men of Canton who offered up their lives, a sacrifice in the Civil War 1861-1865 and whose bodies were never brought home
10. Canton Roll of Honor was located on the north end of The Green facing Valley House Hotel. This memorial was erected soon after Wold War I, with the names of 119 men who served from Canton, along with six Gold Star soldiers (noted with a *) who never returned. Servicemen who were buried in Canton are in red.
8. South West Cemetery is located on Simonds Avenue, in Collinsville. This cemetery was originally known as the "Richards Cemetery" on land owned by Johan Richards until the Association was formed circa 1887. The first burial was in 1918. The first burial was in 1918. When the Nepaug Reservoir was built in 1915, 198 bodies, dating back to 1918, were removed from "Old Southwest Cemetery" to Simonds Ave. The Richards family bodies were moved to South Windsor, CT.
6. Canton Centre (Center) Cemetery is located at 189 Cherry Brook Road (Route 179), across the road from The First Congregational Church of Canton Center. It is maintained by the Canton Center Cemetery Association, 860-693-2468. This cemetery was a gift from Reuben Barber who was the first person buried there in 1825.
3. Calvary (New Catholic) Cemetery is located in Collinsville on the west side of the Farmington River, off Torrington Ave. at the end of Collinsville Road. The cemetery is managed by Saint Patrick's Cemetery Association. In 1914 St. Patrick’s Church purchased land from Samuel Collins' estate, after the mansion burned on January 30, 1912. The Nepaug Reservoir was built in 1915 and 174 bodies were removed from "St. John's Cemetery" (noted as "St. John - no marker" and "3C" on the spread sheet) per the Sexton's records to Calvary Cemetery but there are no further records.
1. Village (Collinsville / Huckleberry Hill) Cemetery is located at 18 Cemetery Road and on the east side of Huckleberry Hill Road, in Collinsville. It is maintained by the Collinsville Cemetery Association, 860-693-0703. In 1832, land for this cemetery was donated by Samuel W. Collins for the first burial of a Collins Company employee. Samuel W. Collins and Hon. William Edgar Simonds are buried here.
11. Trinity Episcopal Church Memorial Garden (TE) is located at 55 River Road, Collinsville, CT 860-693-8172.
5. North Canton Cemetery (Methodist) is located at 506 Cherry Brook Road (Route 179), behind the North Canton Community United Methodist Church. It is maintained by the North Canton Cemetery Association, 860-965-6454. This cemetery was originally known as North Burying Ground and was established circa 1744, a gift from Peter Curtiss, of West Simsbury*. The first burial was in 1756.
The Cemeteries of Canton
The following is a brief history of the eight cemeteries in Canton and Collinsville, Connecticut. Additionally, there are two churches, North Canton Community United Methodist and Trinity Episcopal, with memorial gardens that contain a few burials. Also, there are two veteran memorials in Collinsville: the Patriots' Tablet (Civil War) in the northwest of Village Cemetery; and Canton Veterans Memorial (World War I, World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War) at the intersection of Bridge (Route 179) and River Streets. A separate spreadsheet list the burials in Canton cemeteries, using the code next to the cemetery or memorial garden name (e.g., Village Cemetery is #1)
* Canton was originally West Simsbury and was settled as early as 1737 along Cherry Brook valley. The first settlement is now Canton Center. In the early days, anyone who died was taken back to Simsbury cemetery (Hop Meadow/Center) located on Hopmeadow Street (Route 10) for burial. Early families included: Adams, Alford, Barber, Brown, Case, Dyer, Foot, Humphrey, Messenger, Mills, Tuller, and Wilcox. (Source: History of Simsbury, Granby and Canton from 1642 to 1845, pages 136-140, by Noah A. Phelps.) Canton was incorporated in 1806. South Canton became the Village of Collinsville in 1832.
Author - Tom Ayres, docent at the Canton Historical Museum
First Column: Einar Adamson; Helfred A. Adamson; Murray C. Arnold; Axel A. Aronson; Theophele J. Bachand; Harold C. Bailey; William B. Baker; Berton T. Bidwell; Edward W. Bidwell; Lester M. Bradley; Mortimer R. Bristol; Eugene R. Burns; Carl T. Carlson; Benjamin F. Case*; Edward F. Clark; Francis B. Coley; Ralph B. Cox; James F. Crowley; Douglas Dean; Harold G. Derrin; Philip B. Eaton; Frank J. Goodskey; Adolph Anderson; Arthur W. Olson; Howard A. Hinman; Frank O. Arnold; Arthur Aronson; John Felice; George A. Swanson.
Second Column: Erick V. Erickson; Harold H. Erickson; Elmer F. Farnham; Wallace H. Gladwin; Archie C. Goodard; Ensworth M. Godard; Alex J. Goodskey; Oscar A. Goodskey; Chauncey M. Gould; George F. M. Gudzinski; Otto F. Gudzinski; Anthony Gurtowski; Lawrence Gurtowski; Seth G. Haley; Samuel G. Herberle*; Leonard B. Hough; Arthur H. Hudon; David J. Hudon; Ernest F. Hudon; Oscar A. Hudon; Remi J. Hudon; Peter A. Hudon; James E. Ryan; Gordon C. Case; Michael A. Donovan; Louis W. McNamara; Gustave E. Samuelson; Oscar Carlson; Whitney Gilette; Herbert G. Olson.
Third Column: Charles I. Hugins; Albert E. Johnson*; Arthur E. Johnson; Howard C. Johnson; Paul H. Johnson; Charles W. King; Paul Keltovnik; John W. Larson; George E. Lee; John Lorenc; Martin F. Leahy; Austin E. Mahan*; Joseph J. Malsick; F. William Mann; Leonard D. McNamara; Stewart D. Meyer; John J. Mignault; Herbert Mildren*; George W. S. Myers; Joseph Nuzenski; David F. Olson; Charles A. Ostrowski; David B. Reidy; Martin W. Goodskey; Davitt Moroney; George Erickson; Stuart A. Bristol; Leo T. Bruyette; Bertil W. Johnson; Mitwell Widem.
Fourth Column: Fred W. Ostrowski; William E. Panke; Armand Pattechini; Edward J. Pillon; H. Thomas Pillon; C. Milton Quick; H. Raymond Quick; Sidney F. Robillard; E. Russell Rogers; James H. Ryan; George C. Schmitt; Nathan Schwartz; John E. Snow, Jr.; Albert C. Sweeton; Ernest F. Scherwer; Anthony W. J. Sweykoski; Theodore Tibeay; Wladislaw Tomczak; Joseph J. Wagner; Edward F. Weber; George F. Wilkins; James R. Shamper; Walter E. Johnson; Sylvester Noble; John Kucia*; E. Raymond Bristol; Frank E. Wilder; Karl B. Borden; Anthoni Smilowicz*.